My chickpea rice is a quick and easy one pan dish. It’s wholesome and nutritious. It’s delicious and fulfilling. This is my kind of comfort food.This rice dish is a good accompaniment with most curries. You can serve it with fried fish and salad. Or equally good with my Aromatic Lamb Curry
- 1 cup basmati rice
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 2 dried chillies, thinly sliced
- 1 sprig of curry leaves
- 1 black cardamom
- 1 teaspoon crushed garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon grated ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt or to taste
- 2 cups water
- 400g canned chickpeas, drained and rinsed with water
- Wash the rice until the water runs clear, then soak for for 15 minutes.
- After soaking the rice, drain the rice thoroughly.
- Heat the oil in a pan over a medium heat, then add the chillies, curry leaves, cardamom, ginger, garlic, cumin powder, turmeric powder, salt and the drained rice.
- Stir around gently using a fork so as not to break the rice. Fry the rice, stirring constantly for about 2 minutes, then add the water and chickpeas.
- Bring to the boil, reduce the heat to low and cover the pan tightly. Cover with a piece of aluminium foil tightly and then put on a tight fitting lid. Cook undisturbed for 10 -15 minutes or until the water had been absorbed and the rice is cooked.
- Take off the heat, uncover and leave undisturbed for 5 minutes to let the steam escape. Then fluff up the rice with a fork.
- Serve with fried fish and a salad. You can use my fried fish recipe here. Fried Rice with Fried Fish It goes well with meat curries too, use my recipe for Aromatic Lamb Curry
If you make the recipe, please share it by tagging @nattulicious on Instagram. Please leave a comment too if you like the recipe. I’d love to hear from you.