Happy Ramadan! This creamy coconutty rice pudding is a Ramadan favourite I remember my mom making a big pot of this pudding and serving it with crepes for the first day of Ramadan. I love to dip my crepes in the pudding. So the tradition still continues, and in memory of my beloved mom, I always cook it on the first day of Ramadan and enjoy the memories of my mom’s cooking.
You can fill the crepes or just dip the crepes in the pudding and enjoy it. Or even have the pudding on its own.
Preparation time:25 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
- 1/4 cup basmati rice washed and soaked in hot water for 15 minutes
- 1/4 cup water
- 2×10 cm pandan leaves torn
- 1/3 cup white sugar or to taste
- 1/2 cup coconut milk powder dissolved in 1 cup of hot water (you can use fresh coconut milk if preferred)
- 2 tablespoon jasmine flower water if available
- In a food processor blend the soaked rice with the 1/4 cup water until smooth.
- In a medium size pot add the blended rice, sugar, pandan leaves and coconut milk.
- Cook on low to medium heat, whisking continuously or stirring with a wooden spoon being careful that no lumps form. If the heat is too high it will form lumps so make sure you start with the gentle heat.
- Once it comes to a boil and is thick and smooth, add the jasmine flower water and take off heat.
- Serve with crepes or even by itself.
- 1 cup flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1 cup water
- Place the above ingredients in a bowl and using a whisk, blend everything until smooth. Add an extra tablespoon of water if needed or more if you prefer a thinner batter.
- Heat a non-stick frying pan on medium heat.
- Spray some oil or add a teaspoon of oil onto the pan, then wipe off with a paper towel.
- Pour about 2 tablespoons onto the pan and spread it thinly with the back of the spoon. When one side is done turn over and cook the other side for a few seconds or so. Repeat with the remaining batter.
- Serve the crepes with the coconutty rice pudding or the crepes can be enjoyed with a curry, especially my tuna curry.
If you make the recipe please share it by tagging @nattulicious on Instagram.Please leave a comment too if you like the recipe, I would love to hear from you.