This is a simple, hearty and nutritious dish made with a few ingredients. Two of my favourites, rice and dhal are cooked together in one pot. I have used red lentils for this recipe as it is quicker to cook. Dhal rice goes well with my potato curry and coconut and mint sambal or by itself with some yoghurt or any curry of your choice. Please check the recipes for the potato curry and mint sambal too.
Preparation time: 25 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
- 1 cup basmati rice (washed and soaked for 15 minutes), then drained
- 3/4 cup red split lentils or masoor dhal (washed and drained)
- 3 tablespoon olive or vegetable oil
- 150g or 1 medium onion thinly sliced
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 and 1/2 cups water
- Few sprigs fresh coriander leaves to garnish
- 1/2 a lime
- Heat oil in medium saucepan, add the onions and curry leaves and saute them over low heat until soft and fragrant and lightly golden.
- Add the rice, dhal, and cumin seeds, and saute them for a few minutes until aromatic and lightly toasted.
- Add the water and salt, give it a stir.
- Bring to a boil, cover with a tight fitting lid so that no steam escapes, and cook on low heat for 10 to 15 minutes until the rice is cooked and all the water is absorbed.
- Take off heat, uncover the rice, leave for 5 minutes to let steam escape, then fluff the rice gently with a fork.
- Serve with fresh coriander and a squeeze of lime juice over the rice.
If you make the recipe, please share it by tagging @nattulicious on Instagram. Please leave a comment too if you like the recipe, I would love to hear from you.