The humble potato shines in this one pot, quick and easy but flavoursome curry.
Use my spice mix if preferred, if not a good store bought curry powder will do too. Freshly toasted spices gives the curry a depth of flavour, use 2 to 3 tablespoons of the curry powder and reserve the remaining curry powder in a sealed jar, and can be used for other curries too. This potato curry goes well with the dhal rice, or enjoy it with plain rice, roti or even bread.
Preparation time: 15-20 minutes
Cooking time: 25 minutes
- 3 dried chilies
- 2 tablespoon coriander seeds
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon whole black peppercorns
For the curry
- 430g or 3 medium potatoes cut into 2.5cm cube
- 2 tablespoon olive oil or vegetalble oil
- 165g or 1 medium onion chopped
- 1 teaspoon finely grated fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon crushed garlic
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- 1x3cm cinnamon stick
- 3 whole green cardamom pods bruised
- 1 vegetable stock powder
- 3 medium tomatoes chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
- Pinch of fenugreek seeds
- 2 tablespoon curry powder from the above spice mix or a good roasted curry powder
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced Maldive smoked tuna (optional )
- 2 cups water
- 1/3 cup coconut milk powder dissolved in 1 cup hot water
- Salt to taste
- Heat a small frying pan over medium heat, dry roast the spice mix for a few minutes, being careful not to burn the spices. Grind them in a spice grinder until smooth, keep aside.
- Heat oil in a medium sized pan, add the onion, ginger, garlic, curry leaves, cinnamon stick, cardamom pods and vegetable stock cube powder, and fry them until golden.
- Add the tomatoes, turmeric, pinch of fenugreek seeds, curry powder, potatoes water and salt.
- Give it a stir until well mixed, bring to the boil. Reduce heat to medium-low. Cover and cook on until the potatoes are tender, stirring gently from time to time.
- Add the coconut milk, stir well, cook for a few more minutes.
- Take off heat, serve with the red lentil rice or plain rice or rotis.
If you make the recipe, please share it by tagging @nattulicious on Instagram .Please leave a comment too if you like the recipe, I would love to hear from you.