This is a spicy coconut sambal, that goes well with the dhal rice and potato curry. Omit the chillies if you like it less spicy. If you cannot find Maldivian smoked tuna, substitute with a drop of fish sauce or leave it out.
- 4 tablespoon desiccated coconut
- 28g onion chopped
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 tablespoon Maldivian smoked tuna (sliced)
- 1/2 teaspoon grated ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon whole black peppercorns
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 4 bird’s eye green chilli
- 10-15 fresh mint leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon salt or to taste
- 1/4 cup water or just enough to blend
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- Heat a small frying pan, add the coconut and toast until slightly dark and toasted but not burnt.
- Add the cooled toasted coconut into a small blender, with the rest of the ingredients except the lime juice, and blend until smooth.
- Scoop out into a dish and add the lime juice and give it mix.
- Serve with the dhal rice and potato curry.