This is a Maldivian style dessert, which is a bit on the sweeter side as most of our desserts tend to be. I have decreased the amount of sugar in this recipe but if you feel it’s too much, you can reduce the amount to your liking. We normally use jasmine flower water in most of our desserts but if it’s not readily available you can leave it out. This is a very sticky yet tasty dessert.(if you like it less thicker feel free to add more water or milk) We love to eat it for special occasions like Eid or even birthdays. Have a blessed and a Happy Eid to everyone who is celebrating this special occasion!
Preparation time 10 minutes
Cooking time 35-40 minutes
- 1 cup tapioca pearl or sago
- 5 cups water plus 2 cups water
- 2 x 10cm pandan leaf
- 1/2 to 1 cup sugar ( depending on your sweetness)
- 1/2 cup water
- 1x10cm pandan leaf
- 1/4 cup coconut milk powder dissolved in 1/2 cup hot water
- 2 tablespoon jasmine flower water (optional)
- 1 teaspoon rose water
- toasted coconut flakes to sprinkle on top (optional)
- In a large pot add the 5 cups water and the pandan leaf.
- Bring to a rolling boil, then add the tapioca pearl or sago and give it a stir.
- Cook it for 15 – 20 minutes stirring from time to time
- Once it’s cooked, take the pot off the heat and add the 2 cups of tap water, give it a stir and leave it aside covered for 5 to 10 minutes until they turn transparent.
- Using a fine strainer rinse the pearls with tap water thoroughly to get rid of the starch, then keep it aside.
- In another medium sized pot add the 1/2 cup water, sugar and the pandan leaf and cook until the sugar is dissolved.
- Add the tapioca pearls and cook stirring for about 8 – 10 minutes.
- Add the milk and mix it well.
- Add the jasmine flower water, if using and the rose water, give it a stir and mix it well. Take off heat and pour on to a serving dish.
- Top with some toasted coconut flakes if preferred.
- As it gets cold it will be very sticky.
- Enjoy it warm or cold, with extra coconut milk if liked.
If you make the recipe, please share it by tagging @nattulicious #nattulicious on Instagram