I love the sweetness and earthiness of the beetroot balanced with the addition of spices and coconut milk. This is a simple and healthy curry, and can be enjoyed with rice, rotis or even bread.
Preparation time 15 minutes
Cooking time 30- 40 minutes
- 300 gram beetroot, peeled and chopped into 1 cm cubes
- 2 tablespoon coconut oil or sunflower oil
- 1 small onion (85gram) thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon crushed garlic
- 1 teaspoon grated ginger
- 1 sprig curry leaves thinly sliced
- 2x5cm pandan leaf
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chilli powder
- 1 teaspoon fresh turmeric, grated or 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt or to taste
- 1/4 habanero chilli or to taste
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoon coconut milk powder dissolved in 1/2 cup hot water
- Heat the oil in a fry pan, add the onion, garlic, ginger, curry leaves and pandan leaf and fry until lightly browned.
- Add the ground coriander, cumin, chilli powder, turmeric salt and chilli and mix in well.
- Add the beetroot followed by 1 cup of water.
- Give a stir and cook covered on medium heat until the beetroot is tender, stirring from time to time. If needed you can add a little bit more water and cook until the beetroot is soft.
- Pour the coconut milk, mix in well and take off heat.
- Serve with rice, roti or even bread.