These beetroot samosas are perfect as a snack or even as a starter. The warmth of the spices goes well together with the sweetness of the beetroot, while the filo pastry gives a lovely crunch. Enjoy on its own or serve with a green salad and Greek yogurt. Or if preferred use my roti recipe and make samosas.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
Baking Time: 20-25 minutes
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup thinly sliced onion or 1 medium onion thinly sliced
- 1 sprig curry leaves thinly sliced
- 1/2 small habanero chilli or scotch bonnet chilli thinly sliced or to taste
- 1 teaspoon crushed garlic
- 1 vegetable stock cube
- 1/2 teaspoon chilli powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/4 salt or to taste
- 3 cups thinly grated beetroot or 2 medium beetroot peeled and grated
- 1 tablespoon desiccated coconut
- 13 filo pastry sheets, (each about 27x41cm) thawed
- Olive oil or melted butter, for brushing
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds (optional)
- Heat the oil in a medium size fry pan and add the onion, curry leaves, chilli, garlic and vegetable stock powder.
- Fry the onion until fragrant and lightly golden.
- Add the chilli powder, cumin powder, cinnamon powder, ground cardamom, turmeric powder and salt.
- Give it a stir and then add the beetroot.
- Cook until the beetroot is wilted but still a little bit crunchy.
- Add the desiccated coconut, cook for a few more minutes, then switch off and keep aside to cool.
- Place 1 sheet of filo on to work surface. Keep remaining sheets of pastry covered with a tea towel.
- Brush pastry lightly with oil. Fold the sheet about 9cm or one third of the width and fold the the other side over so it’s folded into 3 equal layers.
- Put a heaped tablespoon of the beetroot mixture at one end and then fold the corner of the pastry over the mixture, covering it in a triangular shape. Continue folding over the triangle of pastry along the length of the pastry strip to make a neat triangular samosa.
- Continue with the remaining pastry and beetroot filling.
- Place the samosas on a lightly greased baking tray lined with baking paper.
- Brush with oil and sprinkle the sesame seeds if using.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 180 degrees C for 20 to 25 minutes or until golden and crisp.
- Serve warm with a green salad and Greek yogurt.
- If using the roti recipe, roll into a circle, cut into 4, make a triangle, fill each with beetroot filling and bake in the oven until crispy and golden.