This is caramel pudding, Maldivian style. It’s quick and simple but tastes and looks great!
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 45 minutes
- 5 large eggs
- 1 tin (395g) sweetened condensed milk
- 1 tin water, (use the same condensed milk tin)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract or 1/2 vanilla bean pod
Preheat oven to 180°C.
For the caramel
- Melt 1 cup of granulated sugar in a non stick pan.
- When all the sugar is melted and a dark golden colour, pour into 5x 3/4 cup capacity oven proof dishes. Set aside to set.
For the pudding
- In a bowl whisk the eggs, with the vanilla extract for about 5 minutes.
- Add the condensed milk tin, followed with one tin of water.
- Whisk until well combined.
- Pour the egg and milk mixture into the dishes.
- Place the dishes in a baking tray.
- Place the tray in the oven, then pour boiling water into the baking tray, until half way up the sides of the dishes.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until set.
- Carefully remove the tray from the oven.
- Remove the dishes from water.
- Set aside to cool.
- Refrigerate for a few hours or until cold.
- Turn out onto plates to serve.