This is caramel pudding, Maldivian style. It’s quick and simple to make. But tastes and looks great! Turn over onto plates once chilled and serve with fresh fruits if you like.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 45 minutes
- 5 large eggs
- 1 tin (395g) sweetened condensed milk
- 1 tin water, (use the same condensed milk tin)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract or 1/2 vanilla bean pod
Preheat oven to 180°C.
For the caramel
- Melt 1 cup of granulated sugar in a non stick pan.
- When all the sugar is melted and a dark golden colour, pour into 5x 3/4 cup capacity oven proof dishes. Set aside to set.
For the pudding
- In a bowl whisk the eggs, with the vanilla extract for about 5 minutes.
- Add the condensed milk tin, followed with one tin of water.
- Whisk until well combined.
- Pour the egg and milk mixture into the dishes.
- Place the dishes in a baking tray.
- Place the baking tray in the oven and pour boiling water until half way up the sides of the dishes.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until set.
- Carefully remove the tray from the oven.
- Remove the dishes from water.
- Set aside to cool.
- Refrigerate for a few hours or until cold.
- Turn out onto plates to serve.
If you make this, please share it by tagging @nattulicious on Instagram.