Cassava cake or Dhandialuvi boakibaa is one of the most loved desserts in Maldivian culture. It is usually made during Ramadan and served with other short eats like Kulhi boakibaa or Maldives Fish Cake. Here is my recipe for cassava cake or Dhandialuvi Boakibaa.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 1 hour and 15 minutes
- 1 packet of 500grams frozen grated cassava available from Asian Grocers)or 2 cups freshly grated cassava
- 1 cup shredded young coconut or freshly grated young coconut
- 1 and 1/4 cups granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon jasmine flower water or rosewater (optional)
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Lightly grease a 20cm cake tin and line the base with non-stick baking paper.
- Place the cassava, coconut, sugar and the jasmine flower water (if using) in a food processor and process until smooth.
- Spoon the mixture into the prepared tin and bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes or until cooked and lightly golden. Oven temperatures will differ so it’s done when it’s done.
- Allow to cool in the tin. Slice and serve.
- This can also be cooked on the stove top, spread the mixture on a lightly oiled frypan and cover and cook on low heat. Carefully turn over and cook the other side until golden.
If you make the recipe please share it by tagging @nattulicious #nattuliciuos on Instagram. Please leave a comment too if you like it, I’d love to hear from you.